Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Was heißt "Public Transportation" auf Deutsch??

 As many know, Germans care a lot about keeping the environment clean which means that cars are used less and many forms of public transportation are made available! I personally find the amount of trains and buses very convenient for one such as I who does not drive a car here in Germany. Each day I take a bus to school and most days I take the train home. I went from a small town Wisconsin girl who had no idea how to even buy a train ticket to helping other people find where they need to go and how they need to get there. I have, along the way however, had my share of experiences while using some of these forms of public transportation!


First time on the train alone: Started up a conversation with the person I was sitting next to after they helped me figure out what station I needed to get out at. Got up to leave once we got to my station. The door wasn't opening! The doors always open automatically don't they??? I've never had to press anything before... Person I was talking to casually asks, "Isn't this your stop?" and makes the motion of pressing a button. OHH there is a button!! I thank the person very kindly while walking out the door, trying to hide the embarrassment coloring my face.

Ticket Checkers: Comfortably sitting on the train on my way home from my German course. Man walks by and says something in German that I don't understand. Everyone starts to rummage in their bags. I have no idea whats going on but I decide to take out my ticket just in case. He comes to me, holds out his hand, so I give him my ticket. He looks at me, holds out his hand again, and says something in German. I look over at the man sitting across from me with giant panicky eyes and pray he speaks English! He tells me I need to show my ID. Great! I forgot my ID at home. The man explains to the guy checking the tickets and I get two frustrated looks. I get my ticket back and the guy moves on! I was so relieved and I thanked the man sitting across from me. He gave me another frustrated look. I just sat quietly after that ;)

 I have a hundred more experiences like these that I could share! For now, however, I must end by saying that I really do like taking buses and trains everywhere because it is experiences like these that add color into my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment